Take A Chance On Me
Our Innovative Housing System
T.A.C.O.M.’s design goal is to provide temporary housing units to help alleviate the Homeless crisis within the United States, with technology that is highly energy efficient, low maintenance, durable, and safe.
All units meet or exceed municipal building codes and are approved by FEMA.
Each unit is immediately available as a comfortable and livable environment. The units are fully furnished with appliances and furniture and can be easily connected to existing municipal services.
Though the steel shipping containers are recycled rather than new, the homes feature new technology that allows each unit to be quickly integrated into existing infrastructure for ease and convenience.
Take A Chance On Me
A program to Help homeless individuals reenter society
This can be accomplished by providing temporary housing in conjunction with a program to help struggling individuals find jobs or apprenticeships (partly subsidized by the city), so that in a fixed period of time, they will be able to support themselves without government assistance and start contributing to society in a productive way.
- Taking the compassionate approach of FIGHTING HOMELESSNESS NOT THE HOMELESS, we have a moral obligation to help the least fortunate get back on their feet. The three things needed for that are: housing, detox (if necessary) and a job opportunity.
- It is not feasible for any person to get a decent job that enables them to support themselves if they do not have a place to shower, wash their clothes, store their belongings, cook a meal, etc. For those individuals experiencing substance abuse problems, T.A.C.O.M. would provide a safe and comfortable place to detox.
- A program like this would require the help and support of the business community, the faith community, private non-profit organizations, and city-affiliated non-profits, with direction from the City Homeless Strategy Officer and Austin City Manager.
- This program could provide an invaluable opportunity for certain individuals that are homeless now but don’t wish to remain so.
- There are so many people out there who just need to catch a break—who need someone to take a chance on them.
While we would leave the program design and execution to the experts, we can provide a quick, affordable and effective solution with the temporary shelter portion of the program.
We fabricate these units utilizing decommissioned marine shipping containers (ISO 2000) that provide 320-square foot units for families and 160-square foot units for individuals (40’ L x 8’ W x 9’6” H).
The 320-square foot family units feature a full bathroom, full kitchen and 2 bedrooms; or in the same space, two 160-square foot units can be built for individuals.
These units include a full bathroom, food prep area and storage space, and a queen bed.
- Walls and ceiling are covered with a commercial, antimicrobial, food grade, watertight sealed, FRP Panel as well as floor drains. This allows for each unit to be pressure washed (after the mattress is removed) if needed for the next tenant.
- Floor is covered with a heavy-duty, non-slip epoxy.
- Full bathrooms with toilet, shower, storage cabinet and medicine cabinet.
- LED lights throughout the unit, USB plugs for electronics, energy efficient A/C and heater unit as well as a closed cell foam insulation for a value of R40 in walls and roof to keep operating cost at a minimum.
- Easy hookup to municipal utilities for minimum impact on lot and easy relocation.
- Opportunity to expand vertically even after units are in use, with minimum intrusion and cost to set up (a plug and play Lego approach).
- Appliances are included: full kitchen, full-size fridge, washer and dryer combo for the family units; microwave, cooktop and minifridge for the single person units.
– Leslie Williamson. Business Developer
“Their work was impecable, precise and very clean. In an industry that can be frustraiting to work with, it was a pleasure to work with Disruptive Construction and their team. I can’t recommend them enough! Hire them!”
– Anita Tran. Business Developer
“I am 100% satisfied with Disruptive Construction and would recommend them to anyone considering any type of upgrade or new construction.”
– Fred Moody. CEO
- Minority Owned Business
Primary NAICS: 236116 * New Multifamily Housing Construction (except For-Sale Builders)
Secondary NAICS: 33231, 236220, 624221, 624230
We strongly believe in the power of reducing our carbon footprint in our world. We provide our clients with Green Construction options like Eco-Friendly Container Construction Homes and Custom Furniture out of re-purposed materials to maximize space and functionality.
© 2020 Disruptive Construction All rights reserved